Instrumental and vocal students enrolled in the concert band, orchestra, and choir are presented the opportunity to participate and perform in small chamber ensembles and/or as a soloists.
The intent of this experience is to advance students’ musical proficiency and independence through the preparation and performance of standard chamber and solo literature. Students work with their assigned coaches in private lesson or group lesson settings every week within and outside of class time to prepare music.
Performances are held a couple of times a year. A solo and chamber ensemble concert is held in late February. This performance leads to local solo and chamber ensemble festivals in the area. Recitals for VAPA Music students are held in mid-May. In addition, VAPA students participate in juries – pre recital evaluations – in late January and early May.
- Attendance and Participation in Rehearsals/Lessons
Students are expected to be punctual, come with all required materials, and demonstrate appropriate rehearsal etiquette
- Attendance and Participation in Performances
Students are expected to be punctual, dress appropriately, and conduct themselves in a professional manner
- Instrument (for instrumentalists – a limited number are available through the school)
- Appropriate Performance Attire (as defined below)
- 1-inch three-ring binder to be used as a note book
- Rehearsal Pencil
- Sheet music, method books, and exercise packets (as assigned by coach)
- Recommended: Etude, solo, and excerpt books (as assigned by coach)
May be the same “concert black” of the large performance ensemble or anything semi-formal.
- No jeans, t-shirts, athletic shoes, or sandals.